[drupal-docs] Versions and translations management for handbook pages

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Thu May 19 15:33:05 UTC 2005

LOL. I don't think I have the solutions anymore than anyone else
did/has. But it would seem to me that the versioning problem for
documentation is best solved by incorporating the documentation into
each Drupal major release rather than pushing the problem from there by
shortening the admin/help text length onto drupal.org (the handbook).

And all of your documentation goals are great. But my feeling is that
the question of whether or not these improvements would be incorporated
into longer texts in the admin/help versus shorter texts in the
admin/help and linking to the handbook is motivated by the technological
shortcomings of the admin/help section and the process for incorporating
text into it more so than it was about improving the quality of the
text. Longer help texts in the admin/help would have achieved most of
your goals, although perhaps harder to write and implement on
CivicSpace's current release schedule needs. But we could do it for
Drupal's next release.

So yes, translators are actually lucky in a sense because they can
continue to provide versioning of as much Drupal help documentation as
they want because they are using the locale module.

Djun has been working on finding ways to improve the collaborative book
for import/export, first step being pdf's. Perhaps this will lead to a
way to easily import help text into Drupal at a new release cycle to
overcome the help.module shortcomings.

As to how to incorporate the help text in to the middle of the release
cycle, yes, I think that if we want to make the process work for
translators, in the future, we should do a documentation sprint at
feature freeze and incorporate it then. Certainly it would be optimal to
incorporate changes in along the way. But, as you have said, admin/help
has been sorely maintained across major releases; this would be a nice
compromise, a pragmatic solution, for keeping it updated with more
frequency that does not require a new technological solution until a
better one does become available.