[drupal-docs] Information architecture and labelling

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Thu May 19 15:50:14 UTC 2005

Hi, I was reading up on Information architecture for designers, by
Peter VanDijck last night.  He has volunteered to help us out if ever
gets some free time.  I was reviewing organization schemes,
categories, and labels.  For organization schemes I selected task
based because the community organizers who use CivicSpace tend to be
interested in organizing their community.  I spent some time thinking
about how to categorize the 60 modules in CivicSpace.  I'll probably
do some thoughtful prototypes and possibly a card sort to help
organize all these modules.  Djun and I have also been talking about
doing a card sort for all of Drupal contributions as well.

When I got to labeling  there were some key pieces of advice:
1. Use the same labels as the target audience uses.
2. Ask users what they call things.
3. Focus on clarity of labels.
4. Don't use your internal organization scheme for labels.

I started reading Robin's Drupal newsletter this morning and in
particular the review which was a comparison between Wordpress and
Drupal.  Then I started reading the comments.

"I tried out both drupal and wordpress, and came away with wordpress.
This was mostly due to trackback and pingback ability which was
lacking in drupal. Also, the lingo used in drupal did not make sense
to me, nothing seemed intuitave. More importantly, there where no
definitions of the concepts. Frustrating. WP is much better at this.
My 3 cents."

"I had a previous Drupal version installed once but was not very
intrigued by the way the system was setup. I just did not “feel” the
system and that is a very important aspect for me if I plan on
working with any system. It has to be intuitive and pleasant. That is
not a criticism towards Drupal as I had no difficulties setting it up
and testing it a bit here and there. It’s merely a matter of
individual preference and personal perception and Drupal felt strange
to me. "

If you come across some anecdotal evidence of users being confused by
our labeling please send me a note or post it to the list.  At some
point I'd like to find a more formal way to determine what our
labeling should be as our user base moves away from programmers and
system administrators.

Cheers,
Kieran