[drupal-docs] establishing a process/workflow for creating, submitting, editing documentation

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Thu May 19 16:32:24 UTC 2005

Here are the major concerns that I can think of. Please jump in with
more and let's discuss this to figure out the best approach. Here are my
ideas:

1) Where to post drafts of documentation and/or guidelines for creating
documentation?

In many instances, I think we have to treat the handbook as a wiki and
let people edit/post, rather than creating a process with heavy
moderation. Let people use their own best judgment. But there are
obviously going to be many instances where a writer realizes that
something needs feedback and development before posting to the handbook
(we an perhaps create recommendations later for helping the writer to
make this judgment).

It seems the choices we have are the mailing list, the project issues,
or the forums. I suspect that the mailing lists is the least of the
three alternatives, although someone else may have some better ideas
about this.

Project issues
- allows for file attachments
- can notice the mailing list
- will not display a post inline the way it would appear in the handbook
- has RSS

Forums
- forums may seem more user-friendly to non-developer types (people see
the project issues as developer space)
- comment boards may be more user friendly for discussion than project
issues
- when a document is posted into a new forum thread in the body of the
post, it will display much like it will in the handbook
- does not provide automatic noticing of the list.
- has RSS

****

Personally, I think either could work, and there are probably more
reasons one way or the other. I'm probably missing things. But let's
start with two premises here:

* Let's work with the technology we have at the moment, rather than
saying one is better than the other based upon what could be. If one
becomes a better solution later on due to technological enhancements, we
can always switch.
* People have been using the wiki and have had no problem emailing the
list when they have something important to share. I suspect that the
lack of email subscription in the forums is not optimal, but not a
non-starter.

2) How can we treat the handbook like a wiki so that people can edit/post?

Currently, the handbook has moderation enabled, making it difficult for
people to add and edit pages. Dries has already offered to implement one
or two changes for collaborative book. What ways could the collaborative
book be improved to improve the current modertation process so that we
can still guarantee the quality of the book pages but better enable
everyone to participate in it's construction?

One way I could imagine would be some kind of notification for book
maintainers so that they know when changes have been made. Boris has
suggested the subscriptions module. I think even the notify module could
work.

***

Suggestions? Ideas?

Charlie