[drupal-docs] Drupal Drops Newsletter - May 23, 2005 - Draft

Boris Mann borismann at gmail.com
Sat May 21 02:05:54 UTC 2005

On 20-May-05, at 3:22 PM, Robin Monks wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't like this.  I like the idea of a community
> newsletter.  The idea your suggesting is a sub-main-index, and this
> isn't want the newsletter was deigned for.  We might experiment
> with other ideas, but I don't think this is a viable option.

Um...I think I was just suggesting a way to submit long articles, and
then a place to post your finished newsletters. I said you *could*
hilight some of the long articles, not that you *must* select from them.

Ignore everything I said regarding the newsletter if you like -- as
it stands, there is no way to get Best Practices, Tutorials, Case
Studies in a highlighted place so that lots of people see them, never
mind that there is no good workflow for submitting them (which would
be solved by the story submission queue).

P.S. please send in plain text

> On 5/20/05, Boris Mann <borismann at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I thought there was going to be the story type, put into a
> >> submission queue. Have you noticed this is the part I'm interested
> >> in? This will be a way for people to submit focused, longer article
> >> length content. Are the category terms set up yet? Need a
> >> description of how to do these submissions.
> >>
> >> This is in Dries teritory.  It sounds good, but remember, it has to
> >> go into one page/email newsletter.  So normal cateogries might not
> >> do the job.  Dries, please fill in here.
> >>

> > Boris, are you suggesting that we drop the newsletter idea and
> enable
> > stories with community moderation?  What stories would be 'news
> > items' and how to they flow to the newsletter?  I'm not sure I fully
> > understand the workflow you envision.  Please elaborate.
>
> No. The newsletter stays as is -- a monthly (every 2 weeks, whatever)
> summary of stuff that's going on in the Drupal universe, aimed mainly
> at those that don't use RSS (or can't be bothered to check up with
> everything). Robin could hilight/select some of the stories in the
> newsletter.
>
> > I was thinking of enabling the story module and have Robin post
> > "newsletter stories".  The stories would be tied to a new
> > 'Newsletter' taxonomy term.  It does not involve community
> moderation
> > and post access would be restricted.
>
> "Newsletter" would be one of the story terms, and Robin would post
> when he emails it out. Other terms would include "Best Practices",
> "Tutorials", "Case Studies", (maybe even move "News and Events" out
> of the forums) etc. Anyone could post, but it would go in the
> submission queue. The docs team would review and approve posts.
>
> So...no community moderation (the doc team approves, just like
> approval of book pages currently). I wrote this suggestion up in more
> detail on the docs list previously.
> \

Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com