[drupal-docs] standard for spelling in docs?

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Sun May 22 04:30:36 UTC 2005

I've been doing a lot of research on open source in the last couple of
years, so I did a google desktop search of the articles. It looks like
the unhyphenated version is being used 3-1 over the hyphenated one in
publications. Sorry Eric ;)

Also, the rule for hyphenating definitely does state to "Use a hyphen to
join two or more words serving as a single adjective before a noun"
(from the Purdue OWL, but the same in most grammar books) But this usage
is generally applied to compounds which are words that themselves do not
function as a specific noun by themselves. When we have terms which are
nouns, the hyphenation is more typically left off. For example, it would
seem strange to write,

"a United-Nations building," "a distance-education course," or "a
cable-news channel."

'Course, Drupal can be an "open-source" "content-management" system if
you want it to be ;)