[drupal-docs] Round 4 of documentation sprint Admin help: merging into the handbook

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Tue May 24 14:35:25 UTC 2005

The first thing to mention is that the goal of this is to integrate the
admin/help text into the existing handbook, not to complete a
restructuring/rewriting of the entire book which is to be the
"Configuration and customization" book as part of the documentation
sprint initiated to update admin/help. That's a big job. Consider this
then a completion of the admin/help project rewrite which also makes
strides in two directions:

1) it includes new documentation in the handbook for a lot of modules
that was not there before.

2) it places the admin/help text into the handbook where we can work on
it in the future.

As for the titles, they are currently organized randomly in the modules
and features section: just by the name of the title whatever it might
be. Using the module name plus a subtitle has two benefits:

1) It orders the modules in a way that facilitates searching for those
that know the module name they are looking for.

2) It recognizes that user might not know the module name or might not
remember. Without the subtitles, this would require all users to click
on each link. Thus, the subtitles provide some information to assist
those users in finding what they are looking for.

Granted, there may be an even better way to organize those titles other
than just as core and contributed modules. This would be a task that
whoever takes on reworking the entire section could take on.

As for rewriting the existing text to better integrate, the drupal-doc
can certainly do that. But our first goal was to move in the admin/help
text.