[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Thu Jan 5 20:11:03 UTC 2006

Hello, all,

Several people have remarked on the tone -- although it didn't strike
me as over
the top on an initial read, after your comments I see can see the error of my
ways :) A few people have remarked on the need to state things positively (ie,
what Drupal is, as opposed to what Drupal isn't) -- that gets abig +1 here.

One of the things this thread seems to reveal is the need for a handbook page
that links to ways non-coders can contribute back to the community.
Most of the
complaints about Drupal's lack of user friendliness come from non-coders. In
some ways, these non-coders are precisely the people we want contributing
documentation on how to use Drupal -- their learning process is fresh in their
minds, and they can see and express the issues new users have better than more
experienced users.

So, toward that end, I will gladly compile and post this list of resources,
tentatively titled "A non-coders guide to contributing to Drupal"

My suggested links:
1. A link to the mailing lists page where they can join the listservs
2. A list of Forums that see a higher percentage of newbie-related questions
(General Discussion, Usability Feedback, Pre-Installation questions,
Installation Problems, How do I style questions)
3. A guide to posting handbook pages (and perhaps a section in the handbook in
close proximity to the site recipes entitled "Tips and Tricks for New Users"?)

Any other suggestions/feedback?

Cheers,

Bill