[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Fri Jan 6 02:35:38 UTC 2006

Robert Castelo wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2006, at 23:29, Kim P. Werker wrote:
>
>> eventually some folks with popular marketing and "average" end-users
>> in mind are going to splinter off into their own distribution with
>> prettier packaging, slightly smoother edges, and more straightforward,
>> newbie-oriented documentation.
>

> If you think that's an itch that needs to be scratched why not scratch
> it on drupal.org?

Well, if I can jump and offer an answer: because we are having this
conversation. I'm becoming more and more convinced that drupal.org is
too developer-focused to accomplish some tasks. A community such as Kim
describes would not have to have this particular conversation because it
would have a different focus, much more end user oriented.

Some of this has to do with who gets to speak and who feels they have a
right to speak. The power--control--of drupal.org is completely in
developers hands. Most major conversations and decision making happens
on the developer list and, apparently, at the few Drupal get togethers
at conferences.

I'm not saying there is necessary anything wrong with this other than a
different community with a different emphasis might more effectively
accomplish what Kim describes just as CivicSpace has their own site and
Bryght their own rather than hosting everything that they do on
drupal.org. This for no other reason than the difference in who would
feel empowered to speak and contribute in such a community.