[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Kim P. Werker kim at crochetme.com
Fri Jan 6 05:23:10 UTC 2006

On 5-Jan-06, at 6:35 PM, Charlie Lowe wrote:

> This for no other reason than the difference in who would feel
> empowered to speak and contribute in such a community.

Yes! Exactly.

I think I failed to be clear about something I said earlier -- I
wasn't complaining. Any resistance I thought implied or explicit
isn't something I feel defensive about. Especially today, I'm simply
gaining more and more of an understanding of the community and of the
project as a whole. In light of this, and after grabbing a drink with
Boris et al. tonight, Greg and I are reexamining and fleshing out our
newbie documentation ideas. Heine, thank you for wanting to help.

Back to what Charlie said -- I waited over 9 weeks to join drupal.org
and make that forum post. I didn't join until *after* I nearly
ditched Drupal and then figured it out. I wasn't comfortable asking
what I feared would be considered stupid questions, or, even worse, I
didn't want to come across as a whiner. I think Charlie hit the nail
on the head.

Anyway, it took a pretty lively discussion on our forum post and the
serendipity of living in Vancouver to bring me to today, when I
finally figured out that my assumption about the future of Drupal
(that it would eventually be super user-friendly and easily
implemented by everyone and their uncles) *isn't* actually the end
everyone's striving for. And that's totally cool.

Now I get where the Hitchhikers page fits in. I still think posting
it is a bad idea, but I definitely think I would have benefited 11
weeks ago from a page that told me that drupal.org is a developer-
centered community that depends on an open source behaviour code (if
you will), and only provides user support based on the generosity and/
or professional services of community members.

Cheers,
Kim
---
Editor