[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Jan 6 07:47:41 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 12:37 pm, Kim P. Werker wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm Kim, new to the list, and relatively new to Drupal.

Welcome aboard!

> I like Laura's wording below (except that, to my understanding,
> "kibitzing" means chit-chatting -- maybe you meant "kvetching," which
> means complaining?)

Impromptu Yiddish lesson. :-)

"Kvetching" is roughly "bitching", in the whining-unproductively sense.
"Kibitzing" is more of a repeated annoying nudge.  Think your mother-in-law
in the back seat pointing out all of the great places to park that you're NOT
taking, why aren't you taking them, oh there's a space right there, I'm just
trying to be helpful oh there's a space... :-)

> I'm sure that in many respects I *am* the person this page is about.
> Though I'm not basing my experience of Drupal on commercial software.
> I'm basing it on software like WordPress, the oft-maligned phpBB,
> etc. I had a hell of a time first starting to use Drupal, and that's
> why I'm on this list.

I think a lot of the difference comes from the different types of software
we're talking about.  I have a small and rarely-used blog that I run on
Wordpress.  <insert wonderfulness of Wordpress's install here>  But, that's a
single-purpose app.  phpBB is also mostly single-purpose.

When I was looking for a CMS (or rather, a modular architecture I could
study), the "big three" open source CMSes as far as I could tell were Mambo,
Typo3, and Drupal.  Of those, Drupal was the only one I COULD get installed
and working easily.  The only gotcha was needing to change a setting in my
Apache config (private server) to let the .htaccess file do its stuff.  Then
I went on and started looking at code and decided it was highly cool, so
stuck around. :-)

Comparing Drupal to Wordpress is like comparing KDE to an iPod. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson