[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Fri Jan 6 08:44:30 UTC 2006

> awfull from a marketing perspective?
>
> Who ar ewe marketing for? I think we indeed agree that pure
> hitchhikers (=
> people who give nothing back) are indeed welcome, but purely
> because it does
> not matter if they use drupal.

Last year, the number of users has grows exponentially, but the
number of active contributors has not.  That is troublesome because
there is more work to do per active contributors then there was a
year ago.  As a result, many of the contributors are maxed out, work
has been piling up, and people are getting frustrated.

We do have a marketing goal.  It is not selling Drupal.  It is
growing the community of active contributors.  The former grows the
latter, the latter grows to former, but the latter is more important
than the former.  Still with me?

Each of us has a responsibility to help new users and to make them
stick.  Quite some contributors have been around for 3-4 years; some
of them I personally assisted making their first steps in Drupal-
land.  I showed them code, offered them concrete insights as how to
fix a problem, and encouraged them to provide a patch.  Want me to
dig up some of the questions you asked when making your first steps?
Make no mistake, you've been a newbie too, and not always a pretty
one at that.  ('You' not being anyone in particular.)  I spent days
looking and thinking about your code and problems.  I helped dozens
and dozens of people learning how to use CVS.  Call me arrogant but
I'd like to believe that some of the long-term contributors would not
have 'sticked' if it wasn't for the fact I literally sucked them in.
I cared about having you on board.

Don't expect new users to be omniscient.  Don't expect new users to
get it from the minute or day they join our community.  Don't get
frustrated because you have to repeat things.  How many times did I
had to repeat some of the coding conventions to you?  How many times
did I told you Not To Cap Individual Words?  Be a friendly mentor,
rather than a frustrated support monkey.  One thing you should know
about new users is that they are often very passionate and motivated
to learn and help.  Go out, care about them, suck 'em in, make them
stick.

Frankly, if you are unwilling to spend some time helping new users,
I've probably wasted my time helping you.