[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Kim P. Werker kim at crochetme.com
Fri Jan 6 17:25:03 UTC 2006

On 6-Jan-06, at 12:56 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> The question is: 'do you want to work with us, helping new users?'.

Yes. Absolutely. That's why I'm here, and that's why we put up our
outline in the forum. It seems like there's lots of interest in
newbie-oriented documentation, and people like the idea for various
reasons. Some, like me, would have appreciated it in the beginning.
Others think it will help to strengthen the general documentation
effort. Others want to take some of the support burden off the
overworked and under-appreciated developers. Our suggestion is to
initiate the newbie-doc effort off site or in a subdomain because we
think approaching it fresh will enable faster progress, the testing
of novel navigation and information structuring, and the opening up
the possibility of innovation.

To me, the Handbook is daunting. Both because I tried to use it as a
newbie and didn't succeed and because now that I want to help with
documentation -- specifically for newbies at first -- the thought of
starting with the Handbook is overwhelming and I'm tempted to walk
away (not a threat; just a humble admission of impatience).

I've been doing nothing but writing and editing lately, and one of
the most valuable things I've learned is that if I'm stumped with
something -- be it a paragraph, an outline, or a chapter -- often the
most productive thing to do is start from scratch. It's not throwing
away the work I did (in fact, I often come back to it to cut and
paste); it's not dismissing my original work as a waste of time. It's
just acknowledging that at first I went down a path that didn't work
for me. In the end, the old and new become meshed seamlessly and get
tossed into the greater piece.

That's what we want to do with newbie documentation -- pick and
choose, move stuff around, scratch our heads, trim down, flesh out,
and all the while play with how the visual presentation and
navigation affect the reader's experience. Then take what we've got,
words and experience and all, and bring it back to drupal.org for
more hashing out.

Cheers,
Kim

---