[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Mon Jan 9 04:35:00 UTC 2006

Steven Peck wrote:

> So, we need a philosophy doc.  We have people who do not know what the
> Open Source movement and philosophy are.  They need to be educated and
> we need a doc/statement for when people make demands that we can link
> them to then ignore them unless they are more polite and learn how to
> behave and play nice.

+1

This is why I've been so critical of the Hitchhiker's Guide. It does not
represent the best understanding of FOSS development. A good explanation
of FOSS is a much better way than the rhetorical strategy of "you should
appreciate us" to stop newbies from complaining. Besides, it's not
necessary that they appreciate the "generosity" of others. Newbies just
need to understand how the collaborative process of FOSS works and why
it is an effective form of knowledge production. They need to
"appreciate" how the community works, not appreciate that they are
getting stuff for free. That's not that important. Appreciating how FOSS
works is the big leap in understanding that can get people motivated to
become contributors.