[documentation] the documentation site is too broken and lacks formatting and writing style

Steven Peck speck at blkmtn.org
Thu Jan 12 03:44:56 UTC 2006

I strongly disagree with this two levels only part for a technical manual.  Perhaps if we had less content, then yes, but we have a tremendous amount of complex, flexible content.  (Yes, some of it needs to be consolidated, updated or go away but this a first pass effort I am doing, and others need to jump in on individual pages).  There were more top level items before I started moving and consolidating things.  Yet people still couldn't find anything because of the overwelming mass of choices they were presented with.  So, my goal was to try and group similier/related function content and stick to 3-5 levels if posible.  3 better, but not reasonably practical given the breadth of the content in some trees.  Maintaining fewer larger pages is much harder in many ways then what we are doing now, but I am open to examples.  There are many areas where you will only visit once or twice when installing Drupal and it is imporant that all the content be there, right next to each other.

In the case of Settings, right, it does lack style.  It's an old section.  Settings is an area that is very important apart from other considerations in setting up your site.  Settings is in the admin menu, and when you click on it, You have several things to do here. In an ironic twist, the page you reference is one that I did consolidate content onto.  I looked at, admin >> settings, and went down the list in order.  But..... looking at Default front page, it's to long for adding to that page easily.  People complained that finding information was hard, so, we broke things up and gave them descriptive titles.  I am trying to get them in a logical place and order.  Making individual pages pretty is something that lots of people can help out with.  If you can show an example that makes better sense/reading then cool.  Dramatic changes to the entire structure is something fewer can do at the same time to make sure they are not stepping on each others toes.

The writers guide is here: http://drupal.org/about/authoring <http://drupal.org/about/authoring>   I am not at present following it and per this page:  http://drupal.org/node/24566 we're in a similier neighborhood on style.  I am sort of in firefighting mode right now.  Move and organize an entire section as quickly as posible considering that at any given time I could easily be moving pages people are reading or looking for.

Welcome on board, I look forward to seeing you more.

Oh, no one mention pages aliases yet.  Please not yet. There are many pages, where we'll never see aliases, and things are in much to much flux to set any new ones.  Probably in February will be time to set some.