[documentation] Re: Making handbook editable by all

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Thu Jan 12 09:16:21 UTC 2006

On 12-Jan-06, at 1:03 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

>>> This could easily be changed if someone would submit a patch for
>>> the book module which implements the "edit all book pages" access
>>> control such as what I included in the wikipage.module I put up
>>> on my site. If I could figure out how to do it, it must be simple
>>> to do :)
>>
>> I keep feeling like I'm missing something...doesn't "maintain
>> books" give this permission?!
>
> I'm willing to do the experiment, but I'm not confident it will work.

I brought it up because there seemed to be confusion on whether or
not this was turned on.

> Would it be a good idea to allow everyone to commit changes to
> Drupal core?  I think not.  It takes a small group of people with a
> good overview to coordinate the many changes, to maintain
> consistency, to maintain integrity, etc.

And the content still goes into the moderation queue, it just removes
the step of commenting and/or filing a "documentation issue". Think
of moderation as the patch queue, and the docs team as the small
group. I may, again, be missing something obvious here.

1. auth user sees issue in docs
2. a) auth user hits "edit" button or b) creates child page
3. makes edits, submits, goes into moderation
4. site maintainers review, potentially improve, and accept or reject

With 4, we also get indications of where people not on the team
thought they could add value/saw problems. This only adds capability
for 2(a) and will probably not fix all documentation issues overnight :P

BTW...the new handbook updates page is awesome....very quick to see
new content, and whether it is approved or not.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595