[documentation] Role Based User Handbooks

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Fri Jan 13 02:25:19 UTC 2006

On 12-Jan-06, at 4:59 PM, Bèr Kessels wrote:

> I just added a (Dutch sorry) post about this here: the image,
> however, should
> not be too hard to grok: http://help.sympal.nl/het_blog_idee
>
> Bèr
>
> Op donderdag 12 januari 2006 23:38, schreef Steven Peck:
>> Same problem..... who volunteers to read the queue?

Same people that monitor handbook updates. This and mod queue are
both hard to monitor without email or RSS notification,
unfortunately....

>> I understand Bèr's
>> re-phrasing of this better now and it's a neat theory.  Who
>> monitors the
>> queue?  And then where is the information displayed?

The front page would henceforth be (mainly) composed of story nodes.
A set vocab (Best Practices, Case Studies, Official Drupal News, Site
Announcements, Drupal Sightings, etc.) plus free tagging. People
would be encouraged to submit well written articles, announcements,
etc. for consideration.

The article module (or something similar/better/whatever) could be
used to provide an archive-style display.

>> Who chooses and sets
>> up guidelines?

We go through a long and painful consensus process here on the docs
list.

>> How do they decide what for their personal blog and what
>> for their Drupal blog?

Up to them. Not a relevant question for us. I could answer it for
me....if it was a long-ish well written article about something
Drupal related, I would submit it to the story queue. I might choose
to cross post so that I have my own copy.

Without trying some of these things (which we can't do within
Drupal.org until 6 months of consensus have passed) we won't know the
answer. And unfortunately, I have nothing more than theory that says
this might be good.

I know that if I were to set Drupal.org up from scratch, I wouldn't
use forum posts to make release announcements, etc. etc. and would
structure it so that story nodes were used for default front page
promotion. We still have the flexibility to promote individual forum
posts, but we would encourage people to submit well written news,
etc. Benefit for them: notoriety/recognition/link juice. Benefit for
us: well written material and news for the front page.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595