[documentation] the documentation site is too broken and lacks formatting and writing style

puregin puregin at puregin.org
Fri Jan 13 05:00:06 UTC 2006

On 12-Jan-2006, at 6:17 AM, Charlie Lowe wrote:

>>     Embedded headings are an issue
>> of authorship and editorship, not readership.
>> They neither add to nor detract from
>> readability and usability.  A heading is a
>> heading as far as a reader is concerned.
>
> Incorrect. Headings are often used within a page to make a page
> more scannable, structural cues are visual cues for processing the
> page. For example, in this page:
>
> http://drupal.org/node/33958

     Charlie, I'm sure we both agree about the usefulness
to the reader of headings.

      My point is this.  Look at the printer friendly
version of any handbook section.

      Can you tell whether a given heading comes
from a node title or an embedded heading?  No.

     Hence whether a heading on a page/screen
comes from an  embedded heading, or is a
structural title,  is of  interest only to authors/editors.

     If given content is not *presented* in a
way that is useful to the reader, that is another
matter, but again, it does not have to do with
how headings and structure are represented.

> The wrong markup is being used because embedded headings have been
> forbidden. If this page were encoded and then "structured"
> correctly according to the current standards, it would affect
> readability because each of these paragraphs would be their own
> page. The reader would no longer be able to scan the headings and
> skim the paragraphs, but rather would have to click through each as
> a separate page. Nor can the reader skip around and return back as
> easily without having to revisit pages (sometimes we skim forward,
> then come back to what we judge the most important)

     I'd argue that the wrong markup is being used because the
interface for browsing books is not well designed.

> As a consequence, the handbook is currently difficult to read
> because many pages which might be better presented as one page have
> been broken up into multiple pages. It is click heavy. At times
> when drupal.org, reading speed is further reduced unnecessarily
> because of a policy.
>
> A separate issue, has to do with the rhetorical effectiveness of
> pages. Presenting readers with hyperlinks provides them with
> choices where they have to decide to view another page or not to
> and which page to view. For example, when the reader gets to the
> end of the paragraph of this page:
>
> http://drupal.org/node/10250
>
> they are presented with visual cues which say "Stop. Decide whether
> to read forward. Decide which link to follow." If those subpages
> were included in this page with headings, that "Stop" sign becomes
> less emphatic and the headings become structural cues which let the
> reader know that the topic is changing, but they are not pushed to
> make a choice. They are encouraged to read on. However, instead of
> the text being structured based upon which is the best strategy of
> these two for presententing information, we have chosen to limit
> ourselves to always putting that stop sign up even when it may not
> be the most effective rhetorical strategy.

      We both agree that the present documentation is difficult to read.

      I think the fix is twofold

          1)  improve the *structure* and presentation of the
documentation
          2)  improve the book browsing interface.

     Using embedded headings is a dirty hack that makes
it difficult to edit and maintain the documentation,
which actually goes against 1),  in the process of
trying to avoid the pain of 2)