[documentation] the documentation site is too broken and lacks formatting and writing style

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Fri Jan 13 06:12:56 UTC 2006

puregin wrote:

>     Hence whether a heading on a page/screen
> comes from an  embedded heading, or is a
> structural title,  is of  interest only to authors/editors.
>
>     If given content is not *presented* in a
> way that is useful to the reader, that is another
> matter, but again, it does not have to do with
> how headings and structure are represented.

I do understand what you are saying, and have understood this. The main
issue that needs to be addressed is how to represent the visual headings
within a handbook page. This is the point where the conversation always
stops. You are concerned about the structure of the book. That's fine.
But I am equally if not more concerned about the structure of individual
pages--how visual headings can be used within a page. Here's an example:

http://cyberdash.com/files/misc/heading-example.png

In this page, I do not want to break this into multiple pages (for the
reasons mentioned about hyperlinks and wanting the reader to be able to
scan the text). The structure of the book is already defined for this
text. Headings here are used being used within an individual page for
structuring as visual cues that would not be better served breaking it
up into multiple pages.

Nor should we deny documentation writers from using headings (visual
headings, not embedded HTML headings) within a page because we are
afraid the pages might end up be being too long. If this happens,
documentation moderators can always break the page up. But neither do we
want to break up every page based upon the use of headings as we are
currently doing. There are some pages and subpages on drupal.org where
this is the less effective way of presenting the documentation to the
reader. The most usable solution for users of the handbook on drupal.org
is a balanced approach that takes into consideration strucuture of pages
within the book and structure within individual pages.

So, if embedded headings are used exclusively for defining the structure
of the book pages, and, as you say, to the reader it makes no difference
how it is coded to them, how would you code the visual headings which
appear within a handbook page? Would you advocate that we use
be explained in the documentation which says not to use embedded
headings so that people know what to do.