[documentation] Role Based User Handbooks

Robert Castelo robert.castelo at cortextcommunications.com
Sat Jan 14 00:04:35 UTC 2006

On 12 Jan 2006, at 02:22, Boris Mann wrote:
> These are "type of site" specific -- a brochure site might have the
> consultant as admin, and a limited set of contributor tasks for the
> clients that actually use the site.
>
> I *would* love to see this sort of information, it's just NOT
> official, set in stone documentation per-se...but rather, tips,
> guidelines, and one particular way of doing things....which is super
> useful, but is not the same as documentation IMHO.

Sure, some sites might have one person administering the settings,
managing posts and comments, and creating all the content - but I think
it would still be useful for that person to have the documentation
sectioned into whatever role they are playing at any one time.

Just because some developers do module programming and theming doesn't
mean we have to both of those handbooks together.

A lot of the documentation for Manager, Contributor and Consumer roles
is built into Drupal, but I think it would still be useful to have
handbooks to explain concepts to users, direct them on where to go to
accomplish tasks (the built in help is only useful if you are on the
page where you need to be), a handbook would also be better for tasks
that require multiple steps.

Any book you pick up about an application will have a section about
installation and configuration, and then the rest of the book is about
using the application. I think we badly need a book(s) about actually
using Drupal.

Probably best to start of with just one more book, something like
"Using Drupal", build up documentation there and decide later if it's
necessary to split it further into separate role handbooks.

Best regards,

Robert