Making handbook editable by all (was Re: [documentation] the documentation site...<snip>)

puregin puregin at puregin.org
Sat Jan 14 06:50:04 UTC 2006

On 13-Jan-2006, at 10:26 PM, Charlie Lowe wrote:

>> We all had our say.  It is time to make some concrete decisions
>> because I'd like to know what changes to make to drupal.org's
>> infrastructure.
>> (Charlie should make those decisions based on the input from the
>> documentation team.)
>
> Since Dries has some doubts, why don't we start with giving
> authenticated users the "maintain books" permission, but let's not
> announce it on drupal.org it as a new, permanent feature. Sort of a
> trial period to see how it works. Those who want to edit will
> notice the availability of the edit tab.

     Sounds like a plan :)

So, edits will generate entries in the
Handbook updates page - hopefully we'll
have this as an RSS feed at some
point too.

Is anyone going to monitor who
changes what, maybe keep some
stats?

Is there a way to ensure that
every edit is stored as a new
revision (e.g., that one cannot
uncheck 'create new revision')

> Meanwhile, in reviewing Dries's earlier comment, I think he did hit
> upon on important point that we might consider about our
> documentation construction process:
>
> "Thus, you don't need to understand the entire  Wikipedia website
> before you can contribute an article, however, you  should have a
> pretty decent overview of the Drupal handbook, before  you should
> be able to add a new page."
>
> This is just guess, but we may find that giving everyone the
> ability to edit pages works very well because they have an existing
> page as a guideline. One edits to improve what already exists.

Can such users change the structure?

> It's the ability to create pages which all authenticated users
> already have which may be more the problem. I don't want to suggest
> this as a new policy, but perhaps the Vancouver discussion on
> documentation could consider whether we want to allow edit but not
> create. For creation of new pages, authenticated users would be
> asked to submit a documentation issue with the text of the new
> page, have it reviewed, and make revisions. Then someone on the
> documentation list could create the new page once it is approved.
> Right now, the process is not very collaborative. This would also
> eliminate all of the test book pages that are created by people.

    Perhaps having the new pages go
into the moderation queue is  already
enough process to stop gratuitous new pages?