[documentation] Links to module pages from contributed modules

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Sun Jan 15 17:19:39 UTC 2006

On Jan 15, 2006, at 1:05 AM, Boris Mann wrote:
> On 14-Jan-06, at 11:48 PM, Kieran Lal wrote:
> I'm not clear on what you're saying. How does this break admin help?
>
> Also, the comment seems to be only about related modules (which I
> agree could be handled by tags)...I believe each of those pages
> needs a link to the project page, so that people can go directly to
> downloading instead of having to search.
>
> related modules +/- ?
This document is a single source for documentation for both the
handbook and the administration >> help pages.  I have always been
concerned that we do not include content that is inconsistent with
viewing these pages as part of the administration help inside a
Drupal site.  e.g. enable this module at administration >> help
doesn't make sense because it's already enabled.  I am not sure that
related modules belongs in the administration help for that page, but
I do think it has a place somewhere else.

> link to download +/- ?
Versioning is important and has been identified as a top issue in the
Drupal Administration user experience survey.

We have 80 or so modules in a consistent format right now.  We have
published guidelines on what the format is going to be for
Administration Help for modules.  Please don't go and change just a
few to be a new format.  It causes confusion and inconsistency.
Angela and CSL have invested time and resources in creating scripts
to automatically create patches from these pages.   We need to know
what impact changing the format is going to have on generating those
patches.

All 80 plus modules need to be changed, this is going to take a lot
of effort.
1) The scripts might need to be rewritten and tested, this is going
to take time and effort and Angela is really busy so we are going to
need programming resources committed to the docs team.  It's not hard
work, just tedious discovering how every formating abnormality breaks
the scripts and patches.
2) The individual module maintainers will need to be contacted and
encouraged to accept these patches.  This takes a lot of time and
effort.
3) The patches need to be applied to Drupal core and then 50 other
modules and the links need to be tested after these 50 modules get
installed.

If we are going to change the format of administration help we need
to add pictures to the pages as that will be the single biggest
improvement for users.  We need to differentiate between the
explanatory navigation for tabs and navigation menu child item links
when describing what to click on.  We need to remove the contributed
module administration links in the Drupal.org handbook to avoid 403's
but still enable us to use scripts to create patches.

I think we should make improvements as you have suggested, but we
need to consider other improvements and make a plan for how these
will get implemented per the documentation coordinator's single
source vision for the module administration help pages.

Cheers,
Kieran