[documentation] Related modules on project page description for now

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue Jan 17 17:46:25 UTC 2006

On 17-Jan-06, at 8:48 AM, Kieran Lal wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2006, at 11:32 PM, Boris Mann wrote:
>
>> I removed related modules from the Event description -- http://
>> drupal.org/handbook/modules/event. It listed eventfinder,
>> volunteer, and RSVP, but missed Chad's new signup module. And
>> isn't there an invite something or other? In any case, I believe
>> we had said that those things should be ideally eventually done
>> automatically through project module/tagging etc.
>
> Ok, there's a difference between related modules and modules that
> are dependent.    eventfinder, volunteer, and RSVP will not work
> without event.  These modules are tightly coupled in functionality
> but loosly coupled technically.

I agree that eventfinder, volunteer, RSVP, and signup (are there
more?) should be linked to event from THEIR pages....but not
necessarily from the event page. They are related modules. Event
works without them.

> Sorry, but those should probably go back in.
>
> In that case Flexinode should probably have Flexisearch.  How about
> we discuss these changes on the docs list first before we start
> editing?  I am eager to improve things but want to evolve the
> overall guidelines and not remove and expected functionality.

Easy enough to edit them back in. I'm taking the tack of just doing
it...I will happily edit the changes back in.

My same opinion stands on flexisearch -- link to flexinode from its
handbook page, but not on the flexinode handbook page. As I've done
on the actual event project page, I think linking there as related
modules works.

>> For now, I updated the event project page to link to those
>> modules, as well as put in the link to the documentation page. See
>> http://drupal.org/project/event
>>
>> Of course, the opening line of the description still reads "This
>> is a simple module to keep track of events ..." which always seems
>> funny to me given the extreme complexity of event :P
>
> Start time, end time.  What's so complex?

The code, usability, hard to themeness, and general problems/issues
of repeating events, timezones, etc. It's like saying "This is a
simple module to do rocket science...". There was a smiley there, I
guess I can just hear killes voice in my head saying "This is a
simple module..." :P

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595