[documentation] Related modules on project page description for now

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Wed Jan 18 17:06:07 UTC 2006

On 17-Jan-06, at 12:23 PM, Kieran Lal wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Charlie Lowe wrote:

>> Kieran Lal wrote:
>>> In that case Flexinode should probably have Flexisearch.  How
>>> about  we discuss these changes on the docs list first before we
>>> start  editing?  I am eager to improve things but want to evolve
>>> the overall  guidelines and not remove and expected functionality.
>>
>> Good point. However, doesn't Flexinode work without Flexisearch?
>> It does in 4.6 or has this changed? If so, Flexinode would not
>> need to list Flexisearch, although Flexisearch would need Flexinode.
>
> We should continue to discuss this on list.
>
> Let's take the case of Event.  Event is really an API module that
> was designed to provide core functionality.  From a users
> standpoint events as stand alone content are useless.

Really? It ships with basicevent now.

> There is an expectation that finding events, searching for events,
> attending events, locating events, and signing up for events are
> necessary.

Sorry, not seeing that. Every single one of those items is special
cases. Finding is done through calendar browsing (core
functionality), search is handled by core search. Attending/signup is
only necessary if it requires registration from the event provider,
who would then search for and deploy one of the available solutions.

> In this case I would argue that having a "You can" item is
> necessary for the administration help.
>
> So I am reluctant to see these references to other modules removed
> as it's core to understanding the value of the event module.   I
> realize we may have now crossed into a grey area that can't be
> outlined in the documentation guidelines.

Yep, it is a grey area. The event project page should contain all the
information you reference, in my opinion.

> I see the gradients as: Expected to work with, can be used with,
> similar in intent.

I think these are great things for the project page/dependency/
related stuff. Clearly dependent modules need to be outlined, but the
reverse is not true.

> But let me just say that I really appreciate Boris, Roland, Thom,
> and others who are working on this.  I am willing to forgo this
> point in favor of making it easier for people to make collaborative
> contributions.

We're just following in your footsteps, Kieran. It would be
infinitely harder to do if there was nothing there to edit/complain
about.

Cheers,

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595