[documentation] A suggestion to improve drupal.org handbooks

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Fri Jan 20 00:33:08 UTC 2006

Ram Dak wrote:
> Current problems that newbies (and, I suspect, even others) have in
> understanding modules:
>
> 1.) Whether a module is dependent on another
> 2.) Whether an sql table should be added to make it work
> 3.) No idea about the different tables added by a module's sql file
> 4.) No idea about the permissions implemented by a module.
> 5.) No idea of what stuff a module adds to the navigation menu and UI.
> 6.) Whether the module adds customs blocks that can then be enabled
> and configured.
>
> There may al so be other aspects that I have overlooked.
Following up on this (and forgive me if this has been suggested
already): Would it help if module documentation had a suggested format?

* Requirements (other modules)
* Install requires
    [ ] folder upload
    [ ] database table insertion
           ( ) sql script alters existing tables
    [ ] other configuration ___________
* Permissions available
* Menu changes
* Blocks available
* Theming concerns
* Known conflicts
* Tarball last updated: _______________

...or something like that? If there were a standard set of headings, it
might help make the modules documentation hold together.

Laura