[documentation] Re: [support] NEWS

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Jan 20 23:52:40 UTC 2006

Op vrijdag 20 januari 2006 17:14, schreef Earl Miles:
> Drupal, as with most software, is learn-by-doing, but asking questions is
> ok. Sometimes you'll get a question that seems really really obvious to
> everyone, but each person's experience with Drupal is unique, and it's easy
> to miss something along the way.

I would like to add, that we, as experienced Drupal users too often oversee
the obvious things. Ther is no such thing as a stupid question, taht we, the
developers and writers cannot learn  a lot from.

Example: I give a lot of support over IM.
A user asked me how he could log into his new site. his name was rudy.
 "I tried everything: ?q= no ?q=/. i enabled and disabled clean urls. I asked
my provider about mod_rewrite. and so on and so on." (showing he did a lot of
reading!)
 - hmm strange. you did go to user/login? not user/register or so?
 "no. I tried all sorts of users, but none seem to work"
 - All sorts of users, what do you mean?
 "well, I know that before i logged out, I made some other users"
 - Me ah so you used them under /user/login, but non gave you acces.
 "I get a 404 all the time. with rudy/login, with testuser/login etcetc."

TADA! there it was. Somehow he figured he should have replaced the word user
with his username. and so browsing to example.com/rudy/login

the "example.com", we could out later, was what made him think that. If you
have to replace example with yourdomain, then why not user with yourusername.

Anyway, a funny thing. We had a laugh. And I learned two things:
* New users, asking obvious questions are helping me a lot. I log al these on
my dutch blog / helpdesk (help.sympal.nl) People give me a lot to write
about.
* We take a lot for granted. That is not bad, but we must, at all times
consider and remember that fact.

Bèr

 PGP ber at webschuur.com
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_webschuur.asc