[documentation] Suggestions for re-documenting Drupal

Addison Berry drupal at rocktreesky.com
Thu Mar 20 01:40:17 UTC 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Marjorie Roswell wrote:

> apologies for bad descriptive term!
>
> What's the best URL for continuing the conversation? Not quite sure
> where to go. (email's easiest for me, if some other location, let me
> know.)
Well the original issue for the points in it, but the conversation has
listed a bit form that so we should probably continue this discussion
here. :-)

> Honestly, I think the drop-down data entry form is a huge barrier to
> content entry, and as you noted, especially for new content entry...
> but most modules aren't in the documentation... so lots of room for
> new entries. Also, seems many things will require new pages for v6
> (or is that not accurate?)

Just because it is new content doesn't mean you need to use the
dropdown. I didn't say new content entry is a problem, because its not
unless you are creating a new top-level item or trying to move an item
from one place to a very different place. Both of those activites are
pretty rare on d.o which is why I said the dropdown is not an issue
99% of the time and typically the folks that do encounter it are d.o
site admins, not average docs team folks.

New content should be created with the Add child page link. You just
go the page that will be that parent for your new page and click the
Add child page link. That does the placement for you. E.g. if you
wanted to add a new module handbook page in the Event modules section,
just go to http://drupal.org/node/206786 (the Event modules page) and
click the Add child page right there. Easy peasy. You don't even need
to be on the docs team to do that. Everyone with a d.o account can add
child pages wherever, whenever they want.

> How does wikipedia handle spam? Honest question.

I don't know, I'm not that familiar with it other than reading
articles there.