[documentation] Tag clouds and documentation

christopher calicott purrin at binary.net
Mon Sep 8 21:00:42 UTC 2008

The thing about tags' effectiveness and search, the way I am seeing
it, is that it is all tied into how well thought-out and structured
your taxonomy/IA is.  I'm starting work currently on an interactive
travel directory site that is essentially based on the taxonomy system
in Drupal.   For the primary way someone navigates through a site,
tags or taxonomy /can/ be a more usable experience for people.
Rather than the decade+ old-school way of drilling down into a site,
provided your admins understand how to effectively tag new bits of
content, users can do what I refer to as "noodling" through a site,
where every page they land upon is somewhere they want to be, rather
than a single step on the path to arriving where they are trying to go.

Free tagging can absolutely kill usability and search results, like
you say.  I want to be able to give users the ability to tag things
and augment the meta information of pages, but I'm thinking the best
way to handle this is a balanced or weighted system that measures our
site editors' structured descriptions strongly, and then tempers the
weight of free tagging, whether done by users or our editors.   We
don't want to give users' "votes" any less value, so they are weighted
the same as editors' votes in the free tagging, but all of the votes
are then given a lesser weight with regards to the structured taxonomy
for each page that they are initially put into, because tags usually
get played fast and loose, and aren't meant to be completely
authoritative.

Now, this is obviously the documentation list.. I just kind of joined
in the discussion here, which feels slightly off-topic, except that I
think Taxonomy is something that needs a lot more than simple
documentation...  Itneeds more of the ideas behind it and
documentation of "approaches" and things...

I tend to just be silent on the list because Documentation discussion
at DrupalCon Boston seemed, frankly, a little "we don't do things that
way around here..." and it sucks making helpful suggestions and
getting shot down, so I just keep fairly quiet and edit bad grammar,
et cetera, occasionally.  I really would like to see people like me
having a much more clear path to doing bigger edits and additions to
documentation, without fear of reprisal.   Having said that, if anyone
has a place in mind to include some ideas/additions on this topic,
please let me know and I'll get on it this week.

have a good day,
-=- christopher