[documentation] Some thoughts

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Fri Aug 7 22:16:03 UTC 2009

Steve,

I think it is a big leap to assume that Sheri just sat at her computer
waiting around for someone to answer her on IRC. I'm sure she wasn't wasting
her time. But that doesn't mean it was fun. And it would certainly be
confusing.

Your post implied like she is waiting to be served. I think her approach is
the opposite. She wants to help. She wants to become a part of this open
source community... but like anyone joining a new community, it can be hard
learning the language etc.

And as for those of us "already here." I think there is a huge benefit when
we are reflective enough to look at our methods to try to be more welcoming.
Drupal has been so good because it keeps changing. If the Drupal community
isn't open to self-reflection about what it means to welcome new blood, then
I believe the quality of the software will actually falter.

Drupal has grown so much. I believe there are significant problems in how
the community is "scaling." There isn't precedent for such a large open
source community. Dries' leadership is absolutely welcoming, rewarding based
on merit, self-reflective, self-critical... but I don't think that
leadership gets to other levels. But that's getting us somewhere else.

I've run into a bunch of people who check in to open source/Drupal, feeling
like they have something coming to them. It seems like your email was
addressing one of them. Nothing in Sheri or Elyse's email communicates that
kind of entitlement.

best,

Shai