[support] Is there any sort of map/overview/tree in Drupal?

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Mon Feb 5 15:58:22 UTC 2007

On Feb 4, 2007, at 11:20 AM, cl at isbd.net wrote:

> Yes, you're exactly right, I'm after creating something that isn't
> Drupal's main raison d'être, however there don't seem to be many (any)
> tools around which are aimed squarely at what I want.  ... and I don't
> think what I'm after is all *that* unusual.

It wasn't unusual, especially in the 1990s. However, the most
effective websites these days are not so much brochures as they are
conversations. Static pages are still possible using core modules,
but Drupal is designed to be the framework for much much more
powerful uses.

There are some concepts in Drupal that might help:

1) Each post does retain its url.

2) A post can serve as a static page.

3) You can also create pages that are defined by parameters you
define. (See the Views module.) This way you can have a page like
http://sampledomain.com/specials that displays in reverse
chronological order each and every post you create that is about a
special pricing or offer, so that people will always see the latest.

4) Taxonomy allows you to create navigation that goes sideways
through your content. Example: You have an hierarchy of pages about
motor vehicles. The top level is divided by manufacturer. The user
can drill down into Chevrolet and finds pages on Chevy pick-ups. But
now the person wants to look at other makes of pick-ups. You can
either create manual links cross-referencing all similar models of
cars across all makes, or force the user to go back up to the top
level and drill down under each make they might be interested in, or
you can use taxonomy to define new pages, dynamically generated, that
show the user what he or she wants to see. (There are many many other
modules that provide similar kinds of sideways slicing through content.)

5) Other ways of creating sitemaps exist, including the, um, sitemap
module. :)

In other words, websites are alive, and less like books than they
used to be in the days of yore. If all this seems like overkill for
you, then Drupal might simply be too powerful and you might be better
off creating a static site using Dreamweaver or a shareware/freeware
facsimile.

Laura