[support] Is there any sort of map/overview/tree in Drupal?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Feb 6 16:41:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:58:22 -0700, Laura Scott <laura at pingv.com> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2007, at 11:20 AM, cl at isbd.net wrote:
>
>> Yes, you're exactly right, I'm after creating something that isn't
>> Drupal's main raison d'être, however there don't seem to be many (any)
>> tools around which are aimed squarely at what I want.  ... and I don't
>> think what I'm after is all *that* unusual.
>
> It wasn't unusual, especially in the 1990s. However, the most
> effective websites these days are not so much brochures as they are
> conversations. Static pages are still possible using core modules,
> but Drupal is designed to be the framework for much much more
> powerful uses.

Be that as it may, it's still not unusual.  My company (a mostly non-Drupal shop, sadly) still builds mostly brochureware sites, where the client does want a hierarchy.  (Or maybe it's the boss keeps selling them on a hierarchy, not sure <g>).  For "classic architecture" sites, I find the menu module to be the most natural fit.  That's what menutree.module was created for.  Were that falls down is non-page nodes.  Eg, if I want all "event" nodes to show as children of the "calendar/event" page, that requires manually futzing with the breadcrumb and active menu trail.  It works, but it's messy.  I'm not sure if there's a cleaner solution.

--Larry Garfield