[support] CCK versus older Flexinode modules

Bruce Whealton brucewhealton at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 01:48:48 UTC 2007

David,
  or if someone else can/will help me,
         I am now seeing some major things wrong with my site.  I'll create a user
  account if you or someone can help me.  You'll see how frustrating this site is now
  getting to me, and I'm stuck and confused.
         First, indeed, I thought I could  create a new content types without even adding
  CCK or any module.  I do need to add fields to a node, because I want to require that they add their name (or pseudonym) and an email.  We must have those two bits of information or we can't publish them.  So, I made those required.
        Getting back to the **serious problems** with the site...  This is where I need help.
  Ok, I created a new menu, to go above the Navigation menu.  I called this Word Salad
  Poetry Magazine.  I think I had to create this as a custom block.  On most of my themes,
  the ones I added, that menu doesn't even show up at all!!
       Second problem... I tried to have a menu item of About Us... and to put a submenu
  where I list each Staff member as it were, with a link to their bio, which is setup with
  the Profile module.  I just added a Biography paragraph form entry to each user's
  profile.  Most of the time, even when I select About Us to be "Expanded," it doesn't
  even show the submenu at all!  It's not expanded and you can't get to the submenu at
  all.  I want some way to list information about the staff of the publication.  Even if the way I'm doing it is not optimal or best, it's not working at all!
      I also find that when I logout, many menu items, when selected tell the Visitor (anonymous user) that they don't have permission to access the page.  They can't access
  the Submit poem page (form), because they don't have permission it says!  Why would it
  do that?  I did give permission for users/visitors to create content.
     The menus also display and opperate differently for Visitors as compared to when I
  log in to the site.  Sometimes that submenu, that won't display for me, when I'm logged
  on to the site, will display expanded for an anonymous visitor!  Talk about wierd!
       So, I'll create an account called Assistant for anyone that could take a few minutes to
  look at this, to help me and I'll pass on the password.
  David, and/or anyone else, please let me know if you can check this out on my site
  and see what is going on... hopefully it won't take too long for someone experienced.  I
  really haven't done much at all to the site.  So,  hopefully I didn't mess things up too much
  yet.
  Thanks,
  Bruce

"Metzler, David" <metzlerd at evergreen.edu> wrote:
      Bruce,

  If your poem only has a body, as I think it did when I helped you mock this site up some time ago, then you don't need CKK.  CKK is for adding fields to a node type beyond title and body, not for creating a new node types.  It used to be that you needed flexinode to create a new content type, called Poem, but now you can do this with stock drupal.  You can still add categories (taxonmy terms)  to new content types as before.  You can create the Poem content type without using other modules, provided that you don't need any additional fields.   CKK Let's you add fields to custom defined content types.

  With regard to views, it is used to provide different slices of the data.  Want to provide a custom page showing all the poems submitted by a user, or the currently logged in user, Views is good for that.  Want to provide a block containing all poems of a specified category?  Views is good for that as well.

  Views and CKK are considered a couple of the basic must haves in Drupal, and well worth the time to just get them downloaded and installed in your Drupal 5 site.

  Hope this finds you well.

  P.S.
  I left up my mockup of your Poem site (drupal 4.7) on www2.evergreen.edu/dave, and was surprised to find that people are periodically finding this site and submitting Poems. :) It's been entertaining, so I've left it up.....