[support] Switching anonymous access to the whole site on and off

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Wed Jun 20 14:45:28 UTC 2007

It won't look as nice as a "site maintenance" message, but removing the
"access content" privilege from anonymous users will likely do the
trick.

I've never done what you're suggesting in a template, but I use exactly
that strategy in my cas module.  (make a simple module that runs
implements hook_init() that does this check, and redirects the user with
"drupal_goto".

You might be able to do it in the template but be careful about things
that might send output before you try the redirect.

For what you need it would be about a five line module, call it say
force_login.module.

function force_login_init()
{
  global $user;
  if (!$user->uid)
    drupal_goto('user/login');
}

Then your master switch is simply enabling/disabling this module.

Dave