[support] Does pathauto conflict with events?

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Thu Jun 21 19:38:20 UTC 2007

On 6/21/07, Jody Cleveland <cleveland at winnefox.org> wrote:
> I have a site running Drupal 5.1. I just setup the pathauto module, and now
> when I view my events, the page is blank. I'm beginning to panic because
> removing the module does not correct the issue. Are there any known
> conflicts with these two modules? Any ideas how to fix it?

Pathauto just makes paths quickly.  So, if you disable pathauto it
will stop making paths quickly, but the path module (part of core) is
still doing it's thing.  You could try disabling path module and see
if that solves the problem.  If so, then you'll want to 1) delete the
offending paths either via the admin/build/path interface or via
deleting from your url_alias table see http://drupal.org/node/144904
for more details on that 2) change your patterns 3) bulk your nodes.

I imagine that this is a problem of "dangerous patterns". See this
page in the handbook about the various kinds of dangerous patterns:
http://drupal.org/node/73232

In pathauto 5.x-2 (under development "alpha" level, but working fairly
well) I have changed the defaults to get rid of the default dangerous
patterns (see http://drupal.org/node/124459 for more information) but
it's always possible for users to make their own dangerous patterns.

There's also some code in Pathauto which tries to prevent this
situation (see http://drupal.org/node/68599 for info) but it doesn't
work perfectly.

So, it could conceivably be somewhat caused by pathauto but I've done
a lot to both document these potential problems and prevent them from
happening inside the code as well.

Should this be determined to be caused by pathauto I'll welcome your
ideas on improving the docs and/or the code itself.

And of course I welcome all reviews (on test sites only please) of
Pathauto5.x-2.x :)

Greg