[support] Drupal permissions

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:42:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at zmsl.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Sorry for the delay in responding.
>
> To re-cap the problem: I made a copy of my Drupal site as a test site,
> and all the permissions are wrong, I can't access any node. I can,
> however, login as admin and access admin pages. I can also create new
> nodes and those work fine.
>
> Victor, Laura and Bill all offered suggestions and I do apologize for
> not following up quickly. I followed the suggestions without much luck:
>
> 1) Victor: I can't do a command-line dump because I don't have
> command-line access. I am stuck with phpMyAdmin. I can't upload an
> entire copy of the database so I must do the copy in steps. :-(
>
> 2) Laura: I have cleared the cache, and I also cleared the sessions
> table for good measure. No change. I created a sub-domain and pointed it
> to the new Drupal site. No change. So I don't think that this is a
> cookie-related issue.
>
> 3) Bill: Drupal 4.7 doesn't have "administer > site building" so I can't
> uninstall modules. :-( All I can do is deactivate them. I have
> deactivated everything in sight.
>
> 4) Bill: Drupal 4.7 doesn't have "administer - content management". I
> see no way to rebuild permissions.

Unfortunately Drupal 4.7 has been unsupported for a long time and most
have started to forget how it used to work. Somehow you will need to
follow Bill's advice manually or with whatever means were available at
the time.

The first thing I would try: Upgrade to Drupal 5.10. After replacing
all your modules with their 5.x versions, making sure that your theme
can handle Drupal5, and running update.php, try to follow Bill's
advice. Try it on a test site first.

If this is not possible, and you need to stay with D 4.7, then (on a test site):

- Check if you have any access control modules such as OG or taxonomy
access. If you used to have them but you have disabled them, then
enable them again, disable their access control from their settings
page, and only then disable themagain.

- If this fails, check the node_access table in the database. With all
access control modules disabled, it should contain only one row with
values 0, 0, 'all', 1, 0, 0. If it contains more rows with different
realms, delete them all and add only this one:

INSERT INTO node_access VALUES (0, 0, 'all', 1, 0, 0);

> Question: Is it possible to (1) create an entirely new Drupal site and
> then (2) copy the users and the nodes? Is such a thing possible? I don't
> care about the modules except for the "blog" and "page" modules. I'm
> happy to install new ones later.

If it comes to that, these modules may help import users and nodes
from comma delimited text files:

http://drupal.org/project/user_import
http://drupal.org/project/node_import