[support] simplenews - Bouncing emails, Background colour & other issues

KOBA | Hans Rossel info at koba.be
Fri Aug 22 07:02:22 UTC 2008

1. Bounce handling is not yet present in simplenews, but is one of the
things that is on the road map, there are some ideas/pieces of code in the
issue queue of simplenews that can help allready. Check the mail directory
on your server as bounced emails can end up there. Check also the simplenews
questionnaire http://simplenews.erikstielstra.nl/ to see more of the stuff
that could improve simplenews.

2. Put initial send time to 0 otherwise you will have newletters send out
multiple times (I had between 2 and 7 times, see also
http://drupal.org/node/125865) to the same subscriber. 100 and 10 minutes
could be ok, but will depend also on the traffic your server is having. At
night sending a batch of 100 newsletters can easily take 5 times less time
than during the most busy hours of the day. Ask simplenews to log the
sending and check watchdog to see how long it takes to send the 100 mails
and adjust cron time accordingly, you can still do this when the sending has
started. Give some extra time as a buffer as too short time between cron
runs will also cause newsletters to be send out multiple times due to cron
overrun.

3. In tinymce select the last option and select for css: "use tinymce
default" (this is probably on use theme css for you).

4. I have used simplenews for over 35000 subscribers so the number is not a
problem. Just give more than enough time to get the newsletters out to
prevent cron overrun and doubles send out. The main disadvantages of
simplenews are stuff that are also mentioned in the questionnaire like
bounce handling and statistics (even a basic question as are my newsletters
read is not answered, let alone the fancy statistics you have on commercial
applications). Theming seemed a problem for me at first sight but with a bit
of searching I found the solution to that and described it in
http://drupal.org/node/268404. I have not used mailman, but I know you can
setup a workflow which integrates mailman with Drupal.

Good luck,

Hans

2008/8/22 geniekids <ratadi2 at gmail.com>

> Description
>
> I tried my first email newsletter with simplenews.
>
> 1. How does simple news handle bounced emails. I am mailing to 7000+
> emails.
> Surely many emails will get bounced. But i did not get any email in the
> sender email box. Is there a way to check that and get the list of bouncing
> emails ids. (to clean up the list)
>
> 2. I have set Cron throttle to 100 and set Initial send time: 2seconds
> (default value)). Cron using poormanscron is set to run every 10 minutes.
> Ae
> these appropriate settings?
>
> 3. Also while composing i had not put any background colour and formatted
> the html email in TINYMCE. During delivery - only to yahoo email ids - it
> is
> adding a ugly background colour which is making it almost impossible to
> read
> the email. This is not happening in gmail or hotmail! What could be causing
> this?
>
> 4. Also fundamentally is simple news the "right choice" for emailing
> something to a large number like 7000+ emails. Should i be looking at some
> other module or any other mailing package - any recommendations - is
> mailman
> a better choice. Though i love the integration of simple news into the
> drupal website and ease of subscribing offered to the visitors.
>
> thanks in advance

Hans Rossel
KOBA Webdevelopment
Kerkstraat 228