[support] Node url path settings, automatic aliases, and pathauto

Luke drupal at lists.tacticus.com
Sat Aug 23 20:55:38 UTC 2008

Hello

When creating a new node, I run into this:

   URL path settings
   [39][ ] Automatic alias
   An alias will be generated for you. If you wish to create your own
   alias below, untick this option.

I am creating a lot of nodes where I want single element path names.  For
example, "www.newlifehv.org/children".  So when creating the node, I
uncheck that box, and fill in "children" in the following field, and all
works as one would expect.

However, when editing that same node later, the box is automatically
checked again.

I already have an alias (which is shown in the "path" text field), so
why would I want it to generate one?

I always untick that box before submitting, but (1) why is it
automatically checked; and (2) what is the effect of leaving it checked
when I submit, if I already have an alias in the path field?

I intend later to have unreliable users working with nodes, and while
permissions will probably prevent them from touching pathauto options, I
would like to preemptively resolve potential headaches.

Thanks and regards,

Luke