[support] Node url path settings, automatic aliases, and pathauto

Jensen Somers foss at jsomers.eu
Sat Aug 23 21:44:36 UTC 2008

Hello,

Luke wrote:
> Hello
>
> When creating a new node, I run into this:
>
>    URL path settings
>    [39][ ] Automatic alias
>    An alias will be generated for you. If you wish to create your own
>    alias below, untick this option.
>
> I am creating a lot of nodes where I want single element path names.  For
> example, "www.newlifehv.org/children".  So when creating the node, I
> uncheck that box, and fill in "children" in the following field, and all
> works as one would expect.
>
> However, when editing that same node later, the box is automatically
> checked again.
>
> I already have an alias (which is shown in the "path" text field), so
> why would I want it to generate one?
>
> I always untick that box before submitting, but (1) why is it
> automatically checked; and (2) what is the effect of leaving it checked
> when I submit, if I already have an alias in the path field?

It is checked because you enabled the "pathauto" module which does this
for you. If you don't want automated aliases there is no point in having
the module enabled. Don't forget that you can still create aliases
manually with the "path" module which is part of Drupal core.

If however, you leave it on and leave the box checked the alias will
update if the node title changes which can lead to unwanted behavior.
For example, you manually created the alias "home" to link to "node/1"
and set the default home page of the website to "home" while the node
title is something like "Welcome to my site". When editing the node the
alias will automatically update to "content/welcome-to-my-site" and the
"home" alias will be removed.

> I intend later to have unreliable users working with nodes, and while
> permissions will probably prevent them from touching pathauto options, I
> would like to preemptively resolve potential headaches.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Luke

- Jensen