[support] Node url path settings, automatic aliases, and pathauto

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Sat Aug 23 22:07:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Luke <drupal at lists.tacticus.com> wrote:
> I am creating a lot of nodes where I want single element path names.  For
> example, "www.newlifehv.org/children".  So when creating the node, I
> uncheck that box, and fill in "children" in the following field, and all
> works as one would expect.
>
> However, when editing that same node later, the box is automatically
> checked again.
>
> I already have an alias (which is shown in the "path" text field), so
> why would I want it to generate one?
>
> I always untick that box before submitting, but (1) why is it
> automatically checked; and (2) what is the effect of leaving it checked
> when I submit, if I already have an alias in the path field?
>
> I intend later to have unreliable users working with nodes, and while
> permissions will probably prevent them from touching pathauto options, I
> would like to preemptively resolve potential headaches.

Hi Luke,

Perhaps the behavior you desire can be controlled by the "Update
action" settings in the Pathauto settings. Under 5.x this is at
admin/settings/pathauto under Pathauto 6.x this is at
admin/build/path/pathauto

Another feature that people want is for Pathauto to "remember" the
state of the checkbox if you have unchecked it once.  I spent a bit of
time on that but was unable to see it to completion.  Freso (the
Pathauto co-maintainer) has offered to start to work on that problem
if he is able to raise enough community funding for it.  See the
details in http://drupal.org/node/180440#comment-974176

Best regards.
Greg

--