[support] Best way to deploy Drupal.

Unai Rodriguez me at u-journal.org
Mon Jul 13 13:04:37 UTC 2009

Dear Kathleen,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I guess we would like our deployment process to be somewhat similar to
what we use in other projects; a number of developers are writing code
while testing on their local machine first (aka developer sandbox).
Each developer's machine has a web server and database server with a
copy of the code. Once a developer is sure that her stuff is working
fine on her sandbox that is the time when she will commit it into our
version control system (i.e. we use subversion).

We have a server that takes care of the automated deployments. That is,
any developer can access a web-based interface, input her user/password
and click one button. This button will deploy the build which is
currently on the trunk in subversion and put it into the development
server; also some other things will take place like copying the proper
settings.php file (in drupal's case) to the proper server(s).

From the web-based interface a developer can deploy to any of the 3
environments: development, staging or production. Usually development
is where developers test (plus their sandboxes). Our Quality Assurance
team takes care of testing the staging and production servers. That
means deployments to these two environments are more controlled.

The deployment process is automated, meaning, you can push the code to
any environment upon clicking one button. The process takes care of
deploying the right code in the right place plus the configuration
files (in this case settings.php).

We have been doing this for a while, I think is pretty standard.

Now, for Drupal is different since part of the "settings" are stored in
the database, right? We are having a hard time getting the database
settings to be applied over to the next environment (i.e. development
to staging or staging to production).

I have been testing the deploy module which is able to do something
like this... My question is more along the lines of... What do you guys
do? Do you just deploy manually (i.e. reproduce the settings from your
sandboxes to development, then to staging then to production) or you
found a way of having this automated?

Thank you so much :-)
unai

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/377629/drupal-deployment-testing-dont-how-to-call-it-tool