[support] Upgrading from 4.5.5 to 6.13

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Thu Jul 30 14:28:20 UTC 2009

Hello, Shai,

In the interests of protecting both you and your client from the
surprises that will likely be lurking within either the data, the
hosting config, or the content, I would be very clear that your initial
bid represents an estimate, but that the actual hours for the job can
only really be known when you start interacting with the data (aka,
doing the work).

In some cases, we treat upgrades from older versions more like data
migrations than upgrades. It depends on the job, and the amount of data,
but sometimes that can be a useful context for the work.

I would also ask what the client wants to gain from the upgrade. Do they
just want to preserve the existing functionality within an updated
codebase, or do they want to begin to leverage some of the architectural
  improvements that are possible with D6 (like, for example, moving from
Image to Filefield/Imagefield/CCK)?

My .02.

Cheers,

Bill