[support] More than one template possible?

Reinhard Mohr ReinhardMohr at reinhardmohr.de
Sun Mar 22 10:36:26 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

I am relatively new to Drupal and I hope someone on this mailing list
can help me with one important and one still minor important question:

I have used another CMS (cmsmadesimple) and found it relatively easy
to use but with some limitations. So I looked around and found Drupal.
I have installed it, played around with it and I am now a good way
through the getting-started-pages. By now it seems to be well
documented and very well organized: Compliments to the people who made
it!

A) Now the important question:
In my old CMS I could create templates for pages; let‘s say one with
three columns (template1), one with a header (template2), one without
a header (template3), one with two columns (template4). Everytime I
create a new page now I can choose from an easy to use drop-down menu
that just says "template1/template2/template3/template4". And then
automatically the page is created using this template (afterwards at
any time I can switch the page design using this drop-down menu).

This is a feature that I am totally missing with Drupal. Everything is
easy to understand and well documented. But there seems to be only one
template per theme. So can I only have one page layout per theme?!? (I
am not meaning forum pages with this theme or some special kind of
page but just "plain" and "standard" pages.) For example: Must all the
pages on my site have three columns because I only have one site-wide
template that specifies three columns?

How can a CMS that offers such a wealth of expansability have such a
fundamental restriction?

Or maybe I just didn't find the trick by now? I searched a lot of
documents but I am not really sure how Drupal calls this
functionality? So I found things like "suggested templates",
"subthemes", a "section module". But I am a little bit afraid I might
just have missed something or might to easily gho into the wrong way.
Please help!
Thanks for helping!

B) Now the minor important question:
Setting up Drupal and creating the first page was easy. Editing it was
easy, too. But I could only write plain text that obviously was
formatted by preconfigured css. My question arose how I can a)
integrate an editor like FCKeditor and b) write or paste html into the
page I edit?
(I think I will run into the solutions for this minor question as I
progress further through the documentation. But as I was already
posting questions here maybe someone could give me a quick hint?
Thanks! But the first question is the really important one.)

Thanks a lot for helping

Reinhard

Reinhard Mohr
Journalismus & Fotografie