[support] MyISAM vs InnoDB

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Mar 22 15:36:37 UTC 2009

Quoting Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at theingots.org>:

>> For high performance, and transaction integrity many people move their
>> database engine to InnoDB.
>>
>> InnoDB uses ~5x the disk space and ~3x more memory. It can be faster,
>> and more reliable. But the down side is that if big tables like node,
>> watchdog are InnoDB you can run into problems. Based on your site
>> size, I don't forsee moving your entire site to InnoDB to be a
>> problem.
>
> Thanks. That's very informative. I didn't realize that the space
> difference was so big. I'm not worried about the disk space. I just
> hope that the memory doesn't become a problem. I'll write to my web
> host to ask how my site is doing memory-wise.

I use InnoDB myself.  I suggest the innodb_file_per_table configuration
option to help control the size issue.  If you create a table and then
remove it this option will return all the disk space, otherwise you
continue to use it.

--
Earnie  http://r-feed.com
  Make a Drupal difference and review core patches.

-- http://for-my-kids.com/  -- http://www.4offer.biz/