[support] 301 Redirect Using "Dirty" URLs

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Thu Mar 26 14:49:44 UTC 2009

Folks,

Client is changing site name (e.g. from http://oldname.com to
http://newname.com)

Server location not moving (files and db staying put as is).

Site has been up for a while and SEO concerns are present.

The site is on a server running LAMP and CPanel.

*W**hat I've done*:

   1. At domain registration site for new name I've set the name servers to
   the current site.
   2. At CPanel at current site I've added the new domain as a "Parked"
   domain
   3. At CPanel I've done a 301 redirect, enabling the wildcard feature.

*The only thing that isn't working properly:*

   - Wildcard redirects use "dirty" urls. Example: user types in:
   oldname.com/blog and the redirect goes to newname.com/index.php?q=blog.

That page shows up fine, but I'd prefer the url be: newname.com/blog. Once
on newname.com/index.php?q=blog if you click on any internal links, the
"dirty" url goes away and everything is perfect.

One response is, "It could be worse!"

But I really would like to fix this.

*T**wo questions*:

   1. How can I get the redirect to redirect to the clean URL?
   2. Do you see anything wrong in my procedure (maybe there is a problem
   that I'm simply not noticing yet)

Thanks much!

Shai