[support] 301 Redirect Using "Dirty" URLs

Abraham Williams 4braham at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 15:29:45 UTC 2009

2 possible options:

1) add a rewrite command to your .htaccess file that redirects from
index.php=q to the clean location. Try Googling for "htaccess rewrite"
2) user http://drupal.org/project/globalredirect

Many other options too I'm sure.

Abraham

2009/3/26 Shai Gluskin <shai at content2zero.com>

> Folks,
>
> Client is changing site name (e.g. from http://oldname.com to
> http://newname.com)
>
> Server location not moving (files and db staying put as is).
>
> Site has been up for a while and SEO concerns are present.
>
> The site is on a server running LAMP and CPanel.
>
> *W**hat I've done*:
>
>    1. At domain registration site for new name I've set the name servers
>    to the current site.
>    2. At CPanel at current site I've added the new domain as a "Parked"
>    domain
>    3. At CPanel I've done a 301 redirect, enabling the wildcard feature.
>
> *The only thing that isn't working properly:*
>
>    - Wildcard redirects use "dirty" urls. Example: user types in:
>    oldname.com/blog and the redirect goes to newname.com/index.php?q=blog.
>
> That page shows up fine, but I'd prefer the url be: newname.com/blog. Once
> on newname.com/index.php?q=blog if you click on any internal links, the
> "dirty" url goes away and everything is perfect.
>
> One response is, "It could be worse!"
>
> But I really would like to fix this.
>
> *T**wo questions*:
>
>    1. How can I get the redirect to redirect to the clean URL?
>    2. Do you see anything wrong in my procedure (maybe there is a problem
>    that I'm simply not noticing yet)
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Shai

Abraham Williams | http://the.hackerconundrum.com
Web608 | Community Evangelist | http://web608.org
This email is: [ ] blogable [x] ask first [ ] private.
Sent from: Madison Wisconsin United States.