[support] Forum topic side-wide contact from not emailing the user's email while sending the email has been updated.

Nabil Malik nabil.malik at probity.ws
Thu Nov 19 06:37:51 UTC 2009

First, please accept my apologies for responding to this after so many
months. Some how i missed Tim's response, and today while searching for a
solution once again in the Internet, i came across my own question and Tim's
response..

Yes, the from field that i get in my email is not the one entered in the
form. It is the email address of my organization's email account that is
used to send all the emails.. e.g.: support at xyz.com... My emails are hosted
on google apps, and my linux machine is running exim which is configured as
a smart host that uses google apps email account to send the email
messages..

That makes me think that perhaps google apps does not allow the from hearder
to be changed... So when my drupal server with exim connects to gmail and
uses a gmail account to send the message, even though drupal changed the
from header to the email address in the contact form, gmail automatically
replaces it with the gmail address for the gmail account that was
authenticated and is being used to send the email message..

Some one may ask why do i want to use gmail and not directly ask exim smtp
to connect to the other smtps. Well, the global IP address that i have that
smtp server will be using to send email is a home dsl ip, and major smtp
servers like hotmail etc do not accept email for the range of IP that are
for home etc.. Hence, i was forced to proxy through gmail smtp, but then now
gmail does not allow me to change the from header.. Any solutions..

Many Thanks..

-Nabil.