[support] When are Caches Cleared?

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 20 12:24:56 UTC 2010

Fred Jones wrote:

>> Why do you ask?  Are you developing code and not seeing the caches
>> change or is there some production issue you need resolved?
>
> The issue is that a client called me to ask why an event that he
> cancelled and thus unpublished was still appearing on this months'
> calendar page. He had even deduced that this was a problem only for
> anonymous users. So I cleared the page cache and it was fixed.

The pages are cached for anonymous users for performance.  The caches
have a timeout value and should rebuild after they expire.  If you go to
/admin/settings/performance, what do you have the minimum cache lifetime
set to?

> Then he asked me, "So what, every time we make a change we have to
> know to clear the cache??"

I think you just need to adjust the minimum cache lifetime.  Otherwise a
custom module with it's own cron hook could reset it for you.

> I haven't seen anywhere that page caches are rebuilt automatically
> ever so I'm guessing that maybe they're not. Ever?

They should be after the cache expires.

> That's the question.

And that's my answer. ;p

> Thanks.