[support] can't install date or date_api module

JT Justman jjustman at uoregon.edu
Mon Feb 8 22:01:48 UTC 2010

Tina Williams wrote:
> I have a PC. I navigate to this module page:
>
> http://drupal.org/project/date
>
> download the 6.x-2.4 version. It's a zipped file. When I unzip it,

Unzip it with what program?

> I've got just one file named: date-6.x-2.4 and it doesn't appear to
> have a file extension as I have my computer set to show all file
> extensions, and this has none. My explore folder says the file type
> is "4 File" whatever that is.

It's getting that from what it thinks is the extension, ".4"

> And, this isn't a one-time deal. I've tried downloading this module
> for a couple of weeks now, and I get exactly the same file! I'm
> rather new to Drupal, but have been installing and using modules all
> along and don't understand why I can't get this one right.
>
> Or, am I trying to get the wrong "date" module? It's a pretty
> important module that a lot of stuff rests on. Am I going to the
> wrong module page?

The link on that page seems to point to a good file.

Probably your software is only un-gziping but not untarring the file.
The ".tar.gz" extension means a "tarball of files compressed using gzip
compression". Try adding ".tar" back onto the resulting file and see if
that lets your software un-tar it.

JT