[support] D5: profile_values

Domenic Santangelo domenics at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 22:13:15 UTC 2010

Thanks for the replies. More below:

On Feb 12, 2010, at 8:08 AM, Greg Knaddison wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Domenic Santangelo <domenics at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I have 19 profile fields and 600k users, that's 11.4 million rows in the profile_values table? Is that right? Seems crazy large. Is there a discussion about this somewhere I can find? Just inherited a site that was built some time ago.  D5.10.
>>
> It is highly unlikely that they all have all 19 profile fields
> completed and the profile_values table only stores records if the user
> has completed the values. Do a count on the table - it's likely much
> lower.

mysql> select count(*) from profile_values;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|  8231901 |
+----------+
1 row in set (26.59 sec)

Ok, 8.2 million... and, it looks like 7.3M are empty:

mysql> select count(*) from profile_values where value = "";
| count(*) |
|  7323269 |
1 row in set (20.56 sec)

Was there a bug in core profile module that saved empty values to the db? This is D5.10, remember. I always used node_profile for my D5 sites and haven't run into this before. Although admittedly, it could be an application error (some custom module saving this info, for example).

Thanks for any advice,
-Dom