[support] Activating new user accounts.

earnie at users.sourceforge.net earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 18 14:45:17 UTC 2010

Jim Tarvid wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Scott <scott at bscottholmes.com
> <mailto:scott at bscottholmes.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have a site that allows potential users to register.  By default
>     they
>     are blocked and need to be set to active by the administrator.  This
>     cannot be done without resetting the password.  What is the standard
>     procedure for this.  I note that drupal creates a default password
>     that
>     is sent out when no approval is required.
>
>     Is it the usual practice for the administrator to create a new
>     password
>     at the time an account is activated?
>
>     --
>     [ Drupal support list | http://lists.drupal.org/ ]
>
>  I take a different approach on sites where registered users may be
> valuable.
>
> http://drupal.ls.net/content/anonymous-authenticated-trusted creates a
> new role "trusted" but lets users register without approval. It has
> proven moderately safe when spam is suppressed with "mollom" and "ht:bl"
>
> Advuser is also helpful.
>
> Jim
>

> --
> Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA
> http://ls.net
> http://drupal.ls.net
> http://crossleft.org

You might want to consider the logintoboggan module.  It will allow you
to assign a role to the new registrant which will allow authentication
but limited use until you change the role of the user.  You could also
set the authenticated role so that it is limited use and then create a
role with full use that you reassign.

HTH,
Earnie