[support] How to diagnose available updates check failure on fresh install

Matt Jones matt at snurfer.org
Fri Feb 19 10:36:26 UTC 2010

Hi there

I'm brand new to Drupal and have only just in the last day installed a
fresh copy and I'm going through the stages of setting it up. So far
everything is working OK except the check for available updates. When
I check for updates I get a message telling me:

"Unable to fetch any information about available new releases and updates."

However, I'm struggling to find any further information as to why that
process might be failing (I have so far looked in the apache error log
and the php error log).

The webserver I'm using for Drupal:
Apache 2.2.4
PHP 5.2.1
Solaris 10 (sparc)

The database is on a separate host and is:
Mysql 5.1.11 (on Solaris 10, intel)

Like I say it's a fresh install of Drupal 6.15 with no modification
apart from the fact that I have enabled the path module.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice you can give.

--
Matt Jones